I have proven that I am a voice for working families, am committed to helping our most vulnerable residents, and am accessible to Polk County residents.
- Led the efforts to pass a minimum wage ordinance in Polk County.
- Support Hunger Free Polk County efforts to increase availability of food and decrease the number of people in our community who are hungry.
- Visit neighborhood associations at least twice each year and regularly participate in community events.
I consistently put the needs of Polk County residents first and am a responsible steward of Polk County property taxes.
- Led the bi-partisan effort in Polk County to adopt a balanced budget every year since being elected.
- As Chair of the Board of Supervisors, I helped Polk County earn a AAA bond rating (the highest possible rating) with healthy reserves and strong fiscal management.
- Led the effort to reduce rural water rates by 50%.
- Participated in the committee that hired Spectra venue management as the operator of the Iowa Events Center and has returned nearly $2 million back to Polk County each of the last three years.
- Advocated for the passage of a referendum that allows for the renovation of three downtown court facilities that are focused on enhancing safety measures and making the courts system easier to navigate.
I have proven that I am a voice for economic development, neighborhood revitalization and safety.
- Pursue county funding for the communities in the district I represent.
- Partnered with the Des Moines Public Schools to assist in the renovation of William Stadium for the families and students of East High School and Grandview University.
- Led the efforts for many transportation infrastructure improvements including NE 56th Street reconstruction, Parker Blvd in Polk City, installation of signaled intersections at NE 70th & Hwy 163 and the new intersection at NE 75th & Hwy 163.
- Facilitated the process that now allows for all police and fire jurisdictions to communicate on the same radio frequency during a major disaster or emergency.
- Created a task force to address safety concerns on Court Avenue and in East Village that resulted in increased police presence, improved lighting and camera installation.
- Supported extensive renovations at Easter Lake that will improve local water quality and provide additional recreation opportunities for residents and visitors.
- Advocated for centralized coordination of area Watershed Management Authorities, whose work will improve Central Iowa water quality.